Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Desktop is not a tablet PC thanks for not asking Win7

Okay, so I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit, and it's required me to reinstall all my software, drivers etc. I'm cool with that, a nice clean installations makes it feel like you have a new PC.

So I have all my programs resintalled and I'm good to start working on some portfolio pieces. I reinstall all the hardware drivers I have (sound card, mother board, etc) and then finally I install the drivers for my Wacom Intuos3 (a tablet/drawing pad). And then I actually connected my tablet (Intuos3) and that's where hours were wasted...

So once you actually connect your tablet to your computer, Windows decides that your computer is in fact a tablet PC and believes that it's absolutely imperative that you can do everything via this tablet. Every text input box gets an annoying little box under it so you can click and hand write whatever you need to in that box, so you end up inadvertently clicking this box constantly (this brings up a big popup box that you can hand write in). It then decides that all the settings you made with your tablet driver are irrelevant and that it will provide you new settings, reassigning all your buttons to who knows what... After it does all this, it then acts like everything is normal and if you don't like it, well it doesn't really matter does it? You now have a tablet PC!

I can deal with changed buttons, and the stupid floating expanding textbox, I mean it's annoying but I can cope. However what I could not cope with is the Tablet Pen lag you experience when you start to draw/sculpt. Basically you start to draw a line and this stupid little target animation pops up to tell you that the pen has touched the tablet surface at this exact point, like the fact that the mouse pointer is there isn't a clue enough for me... So anyways it does this stupid little animation, but your hand is moving away from the point because your sketching out a line, the result is your line won't start where you wanted it to, or you'll get a dead straight line between the point you started and where your pen is at, this is insanely frustrating if you like to use feint quick lines when sketching.

So how do you turn this crap off? Well don't go to Windows 7 help it's useless :p. Some features people may like, so I'll go into the things I turned off.

To turn off the target animation which causes pen lag
  1. Go into the control panel and select "Hardware and Sound"
  2. Select "Pen and Touch"
  3. In the first Tab, Pen Opitons highlight "Press and Hold" and then click the Settings button.
  4. Deselect the "Enable press and hold for right clicking" this should grey everything out.
  5. Hit "Okay".
  6. Hit "Okay" again.
To get rid of the floating text box
  1. Go into the control panel and select "Hardware and Sound"
  2. Select "Tablet PC settings"
  3. Select the 2nd tab "Other"
  4. Select the the bottom hyper link "Go to Input Panel Settings"
  5. Select the tab "Opening"
  6. Deselect the option half way down the dialog box, "For Tablet pen inpute, show the icon next to the text box".
  7. Deselect the "Use the Input Panel tab"
  8. Hit "Okay"
I found a blog post from another tablet user that is a little more advanced that turns off all the pen animation it's found here.

Sorry for the non art post, but this took a lot of time to figure out, and in the post I placed several keywords that I had searched on, as it wasn't apparent at first what was causing the Intuos Pen lag (the first search term :)).

No comments:

Post a Comment