Monday, April 12, 2010

Ya, okay it's been awhile

Been awhile working on lots of different things in Zbrush, been trying to get the hang of hard surfaces. I'm finding it easier to lay down a base mesh in Maya and bring it into Zbrush when dealing with non organic objects.

While the technique of grabbing a ball and mushing it around to create a sculpt can yield pleasant results I'm finding that the line flow ends up sucking and you kind of fight with the surface a lot. So you then do a retopology of the surface, but at that point why didn't I just whip up a quick base mesh to start...


So this model is the start of a halfling warrior. The armor was extracted off the surface of his body, and then I used different polishing brushes to harden up the surface. If you look at the piece of armor on the top of the shoulder its warping a bit and isn't totally flat where I want it totally flat. I'm thinking if I retopo it I can control the line flow better to the edging that I want to achieve.

His skin texture was my first effort at hand painted skin (the eyebrows were projected from a photo and looks like poop :p). The best CG skin I've seen uses the hand painted technique, so I'm gonna learn it :). His head is too wide right now, which is an easy fix.

So I have about 3 days invested in this character, (there's a body and a lot more armor). However the design for his armor sucks and the head is meh, so scrapping this guy. I will revisit the idea after I find a decent armor design. If you have any decent armor designs please drop a comment or MSN me.

No comments:

Post a Comment